Thursday, June 12, 2008

Worship

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary tells us the orgin of the word 'worship' comes from the Middle English worshipe, which means worthiness, respect, reverence paid to a divine being. It goes on to give these definitions:
  1. reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; an act of expressing such reverence
  2. a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual
  3. extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem
Wait a minute!
I think Webster missed something here!
Where are the drums, plasma screens, microphones, and guitars?
What about the praise team (or should I say 'performance team')?
You can't worship without them, right?

Don't get me wrong...I am not completely opposed to instruments accompanying the singing...or singers standing up front during the worship. What I am opposed to is forgetting why we are playing and singing in the first place.

The word 'worship' is found in the Bible over 250 times! In almost every book of the Bible, God calls us to worship Him...
  • Genesis 24:26
    Then the man bowed down and worshiped the LORD,
  • Judges 7:15
    When Gideon heard the dream and its interpretation, he worshiped God...
  • Psalm 29:2
    Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness.
  • Psalm 86:9
    All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord; they will bring glory to your name.
  • Psalm 95:6
    Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker;
  • Psalm 100:2
    Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.
  • Luke 4:8
    Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.' "
I fear that the church as we know it has forgotten the true meaning of worship. We have replaced it with meaningless rituals to exalt each other instead of our Maker and King. Maybe we need to step away from our own ideas of worship for a time to refocus our lives (and our church body) on true worship.

That is what the church 'Soul Survivor' in Watford, England did. They stopped the drums, plasma screens, microphones, and guitars...they even silenced the 'performance team'. The congregation would spend hours in prayer and unaccompanied singing as they sought the Lord together.

After a few weeks, the leader of this congregation penned a song to capture this experience. This is the prayer of my heart...may I put myself aside and focus on the The One who is worthy of my praise!

When the music fades and all is stripped away, and I simply come longing just to bring something that's of worth that will bless Your heart. I'll bring You more than a song, for a song in itself is not what You have required. You search much deeper within through the ways things appear. You're looking into my heart.

I'm coming back to the heart of worship, and it's all about You...all about You, Jesus. I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it...when it's all about You...it's all about You, Jesus.
~Matt Redman's 'Heart of Worship'~

No comments: