Monday, June 2, 2008

A Lesson from Socrates

In ancient Greece, Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem. One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about your friend?" "Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."

The first filter is Truth.
Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?" "No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and..." "All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter...

The second filter is Goodness.
Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?" "No, on the contrary..." "So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter left...

The third filter is Usefulness.
Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?" "No, not really." "Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"

Wow. What a valid point Socrates has made here!
Since the days of Socrates, other scholars have reworded the triple filter to ask if our words are true, ind, and necessary. James 3 speaks to us about several matters concerning what we say with our tongue. I found a different translation (Weymouth) that shone a new light on these verses:
  • 3:5- In the same way the tongue is an insignificant part of the body, but it is immensely boastful. Remember how a mere spark may set a vast forest in flames.
  • 3:8- But the tongue no man or woman is able to tame. It is an ever-busy mischief, and is full of deadly poison.
The Bible also reminds us in Luke 6:45, A good man from the good stored up in his heart brings out what is good; and an evil man from the evil stored up brings out what is evil; for from the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." This is why Proverbs 4:23 warns us to "Guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life". Another translation says, "Be very careful about what you think; your thoughts run your life."

So what lives in our hearts and pours out with the opening of our mouths? Is it our egocentric feelings about what
we desire, or is it an abundant joy and love for our Lord? Whatever it is, those around us will know once we open our mouth.

No comments: