Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Blog Inspired by Trash

Trash is defined by Wikipedia as:
"An unwanted or undesired material or substance".
It sounds so simple...almost elegant.
"Oh, I just took out the undesired materials..."

When I went to run on our road today, I was unpleasantly surprised to start my run behind the 'trash man'. No, I'm not talking about Oscar the Grouch and his little trash can on Sesame Street; I am talking about the huge, smelly trucks that collect rotten bananas, moldy bread, soured milk, and stinky diapers. All of these things smell awful by themselves, but that garbage truck had all of these things (and more) combined in one place.

While I was running, it was all I could think about. It was the most horrible trash smell that I have ever smelled, and no matter what I did, I still smelled it. After a little while, a breeze came in and fresh air replaced the ghastly air that I had been trying not to breathe. Only then was I relieved from the stench of trash.

I wonder if that is how God looks at us. Here we are in our pit of smelly, stinking sin, but we do not smell a thing. We get used to that smell after a little while. I know the trash man does...if he didn't, he would be sick to his stomach every day!

My desire is for sin to be as unappealing to me as that smelly garbage truck. I want to see sin through God's eyes and be completely repulsed by it. Jesus came and paid the price for us to have a life without the stench of sin. He is that fresh breeze that blows in and makes the air as fresh and clean as it was before.

Jesus is willing to relieve us from the awful, smelly sin in our lives.
When He does, you will ask yourself,
"How did I ever live in my old, stinking pit?"

Lord, You tell us in Your word that all of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags... Our hope is that You are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand...God, may I be moldable clay in Your hands. Cleanse me and make me new...because of Your love, I am not consumed...Your compassions never fail...they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.

~Isaiah 64:6, 8, Lamentations 3:22-23~

No comments: